
I finally have a chance to sit down and write about Christmas while it's still fresh (kinda). The girls were so overwhelmed with the whole experience this year. SO many new toys, all at once, they didn't know what to do!! Last year, they were still so little (5 months) that it was all a blur, even to me! This year though, they started to get the idea of singing songs, playing with their nativity scene and opening presents. We decided to put the tree in our entryway that is protected by baby gates, so that we wouldn't have to spend all day chasing them away from it. It really did work out well because they got to see and touch it (softly) every time they went upstairs. We went to church on Christmas Eve and I must say it was one of the best Christmas Eve services I have ever been to. Mom made it into town just in time for church and we are so glad she did. The music and message were both wonderful and I love the way they had the church decorated. They had these huge bare trees on the stage so it looked like winter and these beautiful lights shining up them. Then there were strings of lights hanging from the ceiling and they would make them brighter and softer throughout the service. The girls went to the nursery and created a Happy Birthday Jesus card. I'm and so happy that they love church now. For the first 4 or 5 weeks they cried when we dropped them off but now they just walk right in. They are getting so big!
It was very cold and rainy Christmas Eve but we all made it to car and home safe and sound. I planned to have appetizers for dinner and it all turned out pretty yummy!
Since this felt more like the first Christmas to me than last year, or maybe I just had a little more time to think about and enjoy it, I really tried to plan out traditions that we want to do with the girls. I made an egg casserole and biscuits for Christmas morning then Nick cooked tenderloin for dinner when the rest of the family came over. I made my great Aunt Dot's bean casserole (passed down from my Aunt Lisa) She always makes it and I always loved it. Since we weren't going to Uvalde I wanted to try it on my own. It turned out almost as yummy as I remember and I definitely plan to make it again!
It was so cute when the girls came down Christmas morning! I was so glad mom was here to video tape them! Every since we put the tree up they loved looking at it on the way down the stairs but I didn't put a single present out till Christmas Eve after they were in bed so they were so surprised to see everything! I wish I wouldn't have wrapped as much but oh well. We had to do most of the unwrapping and then they just wanted to open it all right then and play with it. Sound familiar to anyone? We go them this "Elefun" ball popper and they love it. They still play with it everyday, almost all day. I thought the music would bother me but it doesn't and their little laughs and squeals when the balls pop out are just too precious!! My one huge lesson of being a mom on Christmas is to check everything I buy to make sure if it needs batteries. The Elefun did NOT come with batteries and I thought I was going to have to call a friend and borrow some batteries but luckily mom thought of something that had some in it and we stole from there. Most of the things we use now are AA or AAA not D or C. I learned my lesson and I will make sure I am prepared for that next year.
The week before Christmas we had our nieces over for a couple days. It was great to have them get to bond with Sloane and Stella. We baked cookies, watched movies and played with the babies. I think they had a good time, I know we did! Sloane nicknamed Mikayla Bo-bi and it's just the cutest thing. I hope it sticks. So far it has because when she sees her picture she says Bo-bi in her little high pitched voice. :)
Christmas was fun but so exhausting too! I feel like I learned a lot this year and will hopefully be a little more prepared next year.
Oh and one more thing, Christmas Cards! We love them!! I love getting the mail and getting to open and see who is sending us joy each day. The girls love them too! Especially the ones with babies and dogs or friends they recognize. Those are the ones that are wrinkled out of love. ;)
Hope you all had a Merry Christmas as well!!
No comments:
Post a Comment